WAYS TO CLAIM CAR WINDOW DAMAGE THROUGH YOUR INSURANCE
It is not uncommon to get your automotive windshield dinged or cracked. But, wait till you jump over another bumper on the street or have a rock fly into your windshield, making a hairline crack aggravate into multiple cracks. Even though modern windshields are resilient and do not crack easily upon impact, if they do, you need to wheel your vehicle into an auto glass shop as soon as possible.
Car glass replacement may end up burning a hole in your pocket, but not if you have the right type of insurance. Remember, not all insurance policies cover automotive glass repairs or replacement.
Which Insurance Policy Type Covers Car Window Damage?
All types of automotive window damages are covered if you have a comprehensive insurance policy. What is comprehensive insurance? A car owner can buy a standard motor policy that covers a myriad of things including auto glass damage. This primary type is mandatory in India. In a nutshell, a comprehensive motor policy protects your vehicle from damages that are caused by other cars Listed below are a few common examples of what a comprehensive car insurance policy can reimburse you for.
- Windshield or window damage due to a tree branch falling on it
- Any sporting equipment, like a golf club or cricket bat crashing into your windshield
- Pebble or rock flying into the windscreen
- Acts of vandalism
- Animal hitting your car or its windows causing glass-related damage, etc.
Remember that a comprehensive insurance policy provides a wholesome cover to your car, of which glass parts are a component. Before opting for said insurance, make sure to go through the policy wording in detail and also specifically ask the insurer about the nature of automotive glass coverage. For instance, it may so happen that your comprehensive policy may only cover side windows and not the windshield.
How Much Cost Does a Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy Cover?
A comprehensive car insurance coverage will cover the costs of replacing and repairing a cracked, chipped, or broken windscreen. You can submit a car insurance claim to your insurer in such cases, but only if your policy covers the cause of the damage. Insurance policies cover replacements only, Your insurance policy’s terms and conditions will determine whether you’re eligible for a service at a cashless garage. If not, you may have to make an out-of-your-pocket expense. A third party policy does not cover any damages to your vehicle. To claim an insurance you need to have a valid comprehensive policy.
Deductibles To Consider Before Filing a Claim
You can be required to pay mandatory and optional deductibles upon making a claim in accordance with the proportion selected at the time of purchasing the insurance. Compare the price of replacement or repair with your deductible amount if necessary. It isn’t worthwhile to file a claim if the anticipated cost of your windscreen repair is less than or just slightly higher than the deductible. However, some auto insurance providers offer windscreen repair services without a deductible. Before continuing, validate this with your insurance provider.
Note: The policy's terms and conditions state that the policyholder must pay a deductible and that the insurer will be held accountable for your claim's remaining balance.
How to File a Window Damage Repair Claim?
Car glass replacement or repair may be a costly affair depending on the model of your vehicle. you may lose your No Claim Bonus or NCB the minute you make a claim. However, if you own a mid or luxury segment vehicle and need a car glass replacement, it is likely to cost you big bucks for which you must not hesitate to file a claim. Here are the next steps to take after you notice the damage on your windshield or windows.
- Step 1 – Inform the insurer about the damage and file a claim for repair or replacement. You can send a hardcopy or file the claim application online.
- Step 2 – If the windshield was damaged due to vandalism, call the police, file and obtain the copy of FIR, and then submit the claim with your insurer.
- Step 3 – If your comprehensive policy has the cashless clause, make sure to take your vehicle to a service centre that already has a tie-up with your insurer to avail of a cashless facility.
- Step 4 – You will find that the experts present at the chosen garage will inspect the damage and will also advise whether you need a repair or a car glass replacement.
- Step 5 – Be it a repair or replacement; if the events that led to the damage are covered under your comprehensive policy, the insurer will bear the costs.
- Step 6 – Just in case you don’t wish to get your car fixed by one of the tie-up garages, you can choose a different service provider. Doing this also entitles you to stake a claim against your insurance policy. What you may lose here is the cashless feature stipulated in your policy document.
Tips To Protect & Safeguard Your Car’s Windshield
Your car's windscreen is made expressly to resist breaking in the event of an accident or unanticipated circumstance. However, here is a list of recommendations you may use to maintain and safeguard it from several unanticipated circumstances:
- Never park your car in direct sunlight, as this might weaken the glass and cause a crack in the windscreen.
- If your windscreen wipers can't remove all the water from the glass, replace them.
- Wipers change their shape with time, weakening and decreasing the strength of the windscreen glass.
- When closing your automobile door, avoid slamming it. This weakens the windscreen glass in your car by sending shock waves through it.
- Keep a safe gap between your car and the one traveling in front of it. This will stop any heavy objects from flying out of the automobile in front of you and the stones it throws back from hitting your windscreen.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals to clean your car's windscreen because doing so will destroy the film that serves as protection and may cause discoloration. Instead, wash it with cleaning agents recommended by the automakers.
Read Also: Different ways to protect your windshield
The Bottom Line
There you have it – the best way of claiming car window damage through a comprehensive motor insurance policy. However, make sure to select an expert repair or car glass replacement service that has been in the business for a while. If you choose a rookie, you may recover the cost with the help of insurance money but are likely to end up with a sloppily installed car windshield or windows.
Are you looking for an expert for your auto glass needs? If yes, then your search ends at AIS Windshield Experts! With 100+ service centres across 60+ cities, we are India’s largest car-care network. Our squad of professionals are certified and fully equipped to cater to all your car glass replacement or repair needs. We pride in our workmanship, which is why AIS Windshield Experts offers a one-year written warranty on our workmanship and materials. We also value your time and offer our services at your chosen location. With us on your speed dial, you always have an expert that can fix your windshield in case your car has met with an accident at any random location. To know more about our bouquet of services, get in touch with us today!
- How to Maintain Your Car’s Headlights: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Bharat NCAP vs Global NCAP: How Safe Are Indian Cars?
- Mastering the Art of Defrosting: Effectively Utilizing Your Car’s Defroster
- DIY vs Professional: Windshield Replacement for Suzuki Swift Dzire
- Sunroof vs Moonroof: Understanding the Distinctions