Car Windshield Glass Replacement – Complete Guide
Category: Windshield Replacement
The prospect of getting windshield glass replacement can be pretty tedious for a car owner. However, there’s no way that you should allow yourself to ignore a cracked or broken windshield. This is mainly because such windshields can increase the risk of car accidents and harm and are, therefore, quite dangerous. As a car owner, it comes under your responsibility to get the windshield glass replacement done on time for everyone's safety! Keep reading to know more about the process so that you are aware of what to expect.
What happens during a windshield glass replacement?
When your car's windshield develops a crack (due to a stray stone or accident), it must be taken in for immediate repair. Often, a small crack or hole can be repaired on the spot by a skilled professional. However, in many cases, the damage to a windshield during an accident is severe. Whether it's a large crack or a series of cracks, the windshield must be replaced immediately.
To initiate the process, you need to first locate a competent garage that is close to the accident site or close to your home. The latter works if you feel you can drive the car to your home. However, it's always better to avoid driving a vehicle with a cracked windshield as you can suffer an accident due to the compromised visibility.
To locate a garage near you, you need to see our website. At Windshield Experts, we pride ourselves on having garages all over the country. You should be able to locate us in your city quite easily and can use a GPS navigator to get to us. If that is not possible, you just need to call on the number given on our website and speak to our professionals. They will send someone over to the accident site or your house to pick up the car.
Once the car reaches our garage, our experts will go through a series of steps to ensure that the windshield glass replacement is done correctly. These steps are as follows:
- The professionals will start by examining the car. As mentioned before, small cracks do not require a complete replacement - the experts might just fix the crack and send you on your way. However, if the crack is too large for a quick repair, they will recommend a windshield glass replacement.
- The mechanics at the garage will then clean the glass itself with alcohol to ascertain the number of more minor chips on the windshield. This step is generally undertaken for their safety so that they can remove the glass without harming themselves.
- At the same time, the experts will also place a large mirror on the car's dashboard so that they can see the portion of the windshield that faces inwards. This also helps them identify any dangerous cracks so that they can remove the entire windshield safely.
- Once the experts are sure of the safety, they will go on with the windshield glass replacement. For starters, they will remove the rubber gasket, rearview mirror, wipers and plastic covers. The windshield glass replacement cannot happen without this step, as these components are attached to the windshield itself.
- Most windshields have a layer of urethane on the glass. The professionals at our garage will go ahead and cut this layer off by using an icy knife. This helps with the quick and safe removal of the glass.
- The windshield is then popped out of the frame and removed. Our experts always make sure to leave no stone unturned, which is why they will also examine the frame to see whether there is any extra urethane over there. If there happens to be any, they will remove it with a cold knife. Then, the windshield glass replacement can be carried out.
- The professionals at our garage will add a brand-new coat of urethane to the windshield frame. This will help the new glass stick to the frame properly.
- Our professionals only use AIS glass when carrying out windshield glass replacement. This is a massive benefit, as the visibility through this glass is proven to be top-notch. Additionally, AIS glass is of the highest quality that's available in the market, so this means that you're getting the best possible product there is.
- After fitting the glass, the mechanics will add a layer of tape to the windshield frame. This makes sure that the glass stays in place while the urethane is drying up. Not doing so can lead to loose-fitting glass, which will cause problems later.
- Once the urethane has dried, they will then reinstall the plastic moulding, rubber gaskets, windshield wipers, rearview mirror and any other item that was initially removed before the process of windshield glass replacement had started.
At Windshield Experts, we ensure that the windshield glass replacement is done not only quickly but also correctly. This makes us the best service providers to turn to if you are facing any problems with your car's windshield. To know more, get in touch today!
OEM vs. Aftermarket Windshields: All You Need To Know
Common Honda Amaze Windshield Problems and How to Avoid Them?
The Difference Between Windshield Glass and the Other Glass in Your Car
How Much Does a New Windshield Replacement Cost?
The Cost of Windshield Replacement: How to Budget for It